Prepositions beginning with ‘U’ List
Here are 10 English prepositions that start with the letter ‘U’ with their proper definition and examples.
- Extending or directly below
- The cat is sitting under the table.
- At a lower level than
- She works under her boss.
- Lower than (a specified amount, rate, norm, or age)
- You should not buy it if it’s not under $20.
- Controlled, managed, or governed by
- The country is now under presidential rule.
- Undergoing a process
- The school is under construction now.
- Situated directly below (something else)
- Our drawing room is right underneath theirs.
- So as to be concealed by (something else)
- Money changed hands underneath the tables.
Definition: not similar to something
- This is not a large house unlike Mr Kohli.
- It’s unlike James to be so afraid.
Definition: Up to (the point in time or the event mentioned)
- The kidnappers have given us until November 7th to deliver the ransom.
- The baby continued crying until she got the teddy.
- Their marriage was forever upto death.
Definition: From a lower to a higher point on (something)
- She climbed up a flight of steps.
More formal term for on, especially in abstract senses
- Have you any book upon Geophysics?
- It was based upon two principles.
- Keep the glass upon the table.
- You are always up against me.
- The company was doing very well up to 2010.
- I walked up until he came.